Copyright FAQ

Commonly asked questions about copyright.

Expand All Content
  • Faculty

    • If you would like students to read some scholarly articles, please first try linking to University Libraries content. If you need help creating permalinks or using Reading List Builder, contact your Subject Librarian or the Copyright Officer for help.

      If University Libraries does not subscribe to an electronic version of the article you need, the Copyright Office will purchase a license for you to upload a pdf to your course. The Copyright Office does all the paperwork and funds the cost of the license. All you will have to do contact the Copyright Office with the following information:

      Course name and number

      Instructor name

      Maximum enrollment

      Semester you need the article

      Citation or identifying information about the article

      Once the Copyright Office purchases the license, all you will have to do is upload the article (with a license cover sheet). (The Copyright Office will create and add the cover sheet to your article for you.)

      If you don't have the article itself, you will need to Inter Library Loan the article. Please remember that the article will have to be converted it to an version that can be read by a screen reader (an accessible version). If you need help with either of these tasks, ask your Subject Librarian for help.