Fines on Overdue Items
The Schneider Music Library levies fines as a means of "strongly encouraging" borrowers to return items on-time, which allows fair and timely access for everyone.
- Overdue Scores and books: 25 cents per day (maximum fine $5.00)
- Overdue CDs and DVDs: 50 cents per day (maximum fine $5.00)
- Overdue 2-hour materials (reserve items, equipment, etc.): 25 cents per hour (maximum fine $7.00)
When library items are not returned, library holds are placed on student records. This means you cannot register, nor receive grades & transcripts until you have returned/renewed overdue items and paid any outstanding fines.
Click here to see the fine schedule for items belonging to the Alkek library.
Fines can be paid by the following means:
- Cash, accepted at the Schneider Music Library circulation desk. Staff members can print you a receipt for your payment. Exact change, please, as we do not maintain a cash register.
- Payment by credit/debit card, online. You will need to know the total amount of your fine(s), which you can view by accessing My Account (look for the "unpaid fines" link).
- Important! When you pay a fine, the registration hold does not lift until (approximately) that midnight! We ask you to plan ahead accordingly. If you have an immediate need to get a hold lifted, contact Alkek circulation, at 512.245.3681.
- Please note that we cannot accept personal checks.
Lost or Damaged Materials
A borrower is responsible for lost or damaged materials. (We allow for normal wear-and-tear.) Charges for lost materials include the material cost and a processing fee of $5.00 per item. If the borrower finds and returns the item at a later time, a refund will be processed (minus processing fee). For damaged materials, a repair cost as determined by the library will be charged.
Sorry, we do not allow borrowers to replace items on their own, although we appreciate the intention.
Of Note to Faculty and Staff
Although faculty and staff are not charged overdue fines, they are responsible for paying the replacement cost (plus $5.00 processing fee per item) for lost, damaged, or unreturned materials, including those charged by proxy.